Q – How does the Possum Deterrent work?
The ultrasonic Possum Deterrent emits a random and intermittent array of almost silent ultrasonic frequencies that most humans can’t hear but possums find uncomfortable.
The device is weatherproof and has a maximum range of up to 14 metres in a vertical arc of 60 degrees and the horizontal arc of 170 degrees in front of the device, but with less range on the sides.
The 9v device plugs into a 240-volt power socket via its 240v adaptor with an attached 2-metre power cord, and there are options to increase the power cord length to 12 or 22 metres long. Other power options include C type torch batteries or 12v batteries.
The Possum Deterrent is normally played on the constant mode that intermittently and randomly emits oscillating ultrasonic frequencies. (It also has a motion sensor mode where the device emits ultrasonics only when it senses movement). A light sensor automatically turns the device on at dusk and off at dawn, but when used inside the roof, we suggest the device is set for 24 hours.
Inside a roof space, the maximum range is less than outdoors – up to 10 metres. A roof adaptation of the device is available that has an additional flashing strobe light. (Currently, this version can be purchased over the phone only).
Q – What is the optimal range of the Possum Deterrent?
Possums can hear the Possum Deterrent up to 20 metres away, but it starts to take effect at 14 metres. Depending on your circumstances and your possums, 14 metres is the maximum possible range achieved. Not everyone will achieve 14 metres – that is the best range achieved.
Q – Is the range in front conical or narrow horizontal?
The Ultrasonics spreads out left and right and covers a maximum arc of 170 degrees in front of the device, but with less range and effect on the sides. The maximum strength of an ultrasonic device is directly in front, so pointing the device at what you want to protect is normally the best approach.
The ultrasonics also beam up and down horizontally at a 60 degree spread in front of the device. For every 2 metres in front of the device, the ultrasonics go up and down 1 metre. So at 10 metres in front of the device, the ultrasonics will go up and down 5 metres, rather like the shape of a steep pyramid lying on its side.
Q – Is the device weatherproof as I would need to mount it on top of a flat-roofed carport?
The device can be mounted outdoors. Rain and other weather isn’t a problem, but never allow the device to point straight up in the air, as there is a hole/aperture that emits the ultrasonics which could let the rain in. There are two indentations in the back of the device that you can use to hook the device on nails or screws.
Q – Why haven’t the possums gone?
- For at least 90% of people, successfully repelling possums is simply a matter of pointing the device at what you protect.
These people achieve success within 1 to 21 days regardless on how many devices they have or how they have installed them.
- For 10% of people, it is pointing the device at where the possums come from that is the most effective. Basically, it is a trial and error process to see what works for you.
- It is best to pick a spot for installation and leave it there for up to 21 days because that is how long it can take. After that period of time, if you don’t have the desired result, do give us a call so we can advise you on what to do next.
- If you don’t achieve success within 21 days you can send us photos that give a good perspective of what you want to protect and how you have installed the device. This allows us to see your problem and give you the best advice.
- The possum deterrent has a high success rate. Based on past sales, only approximately 4 to 6 devices out of every 100 are returned for a refund. Reasons for return are:
- Operator error – please do call us if you have trouble operating your device
- Not installed in a manner needed for that location – possums are wild animals in an uncontrolled environment and there is no set, hard and fast way of installing them. Different locations can require different types of installation. Do contact us if you think you need help.
- Insufficient devices – don’t try and defend too much with one unit. The device has a maximum range of up to 14 metres and not everyone will achieve that.
- Unrealistic expectations – don’t expect instant results. It can take up to 21 days to repel possums. Possums can go backwards and forwards during that time.
- The possum deterrent is effective at repelling possums but no product is 100% effective 100% of the time. There will be occasions and locations where one device can be overwhelmed by the extent of the possum problem. There are larger, more powerful devices available in these circumstances.
The device comes with a 90-day money back guarantee – no questions asked – but if your possum deterrent is not working for you, do give us a call and we may be able to help you get the most out of your device.
Click on the product below or give us a call at head office 07 5443 6344